Are you a fish lover? Fish is one of the unique creatures on this planet. It is one of the most varied and biggest vertebrates. Living in water in the whole Earth, fish is really a unique, amazing, and charming animal. They come with a lot of various sizes, shapes, kinds, and also colors. Some kinds of fish are even considered as a good luck charm when playing judi online at http://126.96.36.199 so that people keep it as a pet. Below are the fun facts about fish that you probably have not known yet.
- Fish is one of the oldest creatures on Earth. This animal has been on Earth since 450 million years ago. Fish is even has been on Earth long before the existence of dinosaurs.
- This might sound weird but fish can drown. If there is not enough oxygen dissolved in water, fish can truly drown.
- Fish can make women’s lips pretty. What does it mean? One of the most women’s precious makeup components, lipsticks, contain fish scales which contribute making women’s appearance looks more beautiful.
- Fish has a sense of taste in its entire body. So, this animal can taste something without having to open its mouth.
- It is not a secret that there are a bunch of fish kinds. Kinds of fish are a lot more than kinds of birds, reptiles, amphibian, and also mammals.
- Fish has a certain radar that helps it in navigation. Fish has a certain organ which is a lateral line which functions just like radar to help it to navigate in dark water or muddy water.
- Fish is able to change its gender. Some kinds of fish are known for its ability to change gender. Does it sound weird to you?
- Several kinds of fish have to swim continuously. Sharks and other fishes do not have air bladders that can help them to survive. This is why they need to keep swimming or take a rest in the water base.
- Fish has incredible senses. This animal has a great sense of sight, touch, and also taste. Some fish even have a good sense of smell and hearing. And one more interesting thing is that fish can be sick and stressed just like mammals and birds.
- Fish cannot chew. Fish can die if it tries to chew. It is because chewing can disturb the water flow in its gill.
- You must already know how deadly a pufferfish is. A pufferfish contains enough poison to kill 30 people. The toxic found in this kind of fish is 1200 times more deadly than cyanide. However, there are some Japanese restaurants that serve this pufferfish as a dish. Still, only a professional who must process the fish.
- Have you ever seen raining fish? A weird moment named raining fish occurs every year in Yoro city in Honduras where hundreds of fish fall from the sky. If you are curious to see this weird phenomenon, try to travel to Yoro city in Honduras.
- Male fish in England change gender. The recent research found that one-third of male fish in a British river changes gender because of the pollution and waste in the river.
- Fish is able to create many sounds even without any vocal cords. Fish creates a lot of sounds in order to deliver messages. Even though this animal does not have a vocal cord, it uses other parts of its body to groan, grunt, hiss, and even scream.
Those are the fun facts about fish that you probably have not known yet. Isn’t this animal really unique?
There are so many types of fish in this world. Fish is a group of animals that breathe with gills. This type of animal only lives in water. This animal can be found both in seawater and in freshwater. In general, there are currently three types of fish in their grouping, mainly from their physical characteristics. The three types of fish are jawless fish, cartilaginous fish, and bony fish. Previously, there were also fish of the armored fish and spiny sharks, but both of these species from the group have become extinct.
Jawless fish has another name; Agnatha from its superclass classification. As the name implies, this type of fish does not have a jaw on the head. Most fish from this group are extinct and only two types of fish are still in existence today. The two types of fish are lamprey and hagfish.
Hagfish, from the Myxini class, are fish-shaped like an eel that secretes mucus on its body and lives in seawater. This type of fish is known as the only animal that lives with a skull but without a spine. Lamprey, from the Hyperoartia class, is the oldest type of fish that still exists from the jawless fish group. An adult lamprey, who also has a shape like an eel, has a circle-shaped mouth like a vacuum and toothed. Most of the lamprey fish are parasitic, by sticking to their host fish by sucking up their blood and even their flesh.
Cartilaginous fish, or fish from the Chondrichthyes class, have the characteristics of a pair of fins, a pair of real nostrils, scaly, and have a heart that has two chambers. However, this fish still has a body frame that consists of cartilage, not true bone. This type of fish is divided into two sub-classes, namely Elasmobranchii and Holocephali.
Sharks, skates, and rays are types of fish originating from the Elasmobranchii subclass. Fish from this subclass has a total of five to seven-gill slits that open one by one. This type of fish is mostly spread in tropical and temperate water climates. Holocephali subclass is a subclass that still survives in its Ordo classification. The type of fish moves by moving its pectoral fins like a sweeping motion. Usually, this type of fish lives at the bottom of the water. Chimaera or ghost shark is one of the Holocephali fish.
Bony fish, or fish from superclass Osteichthyes, are a type of fish that have true bones — as the name implies: bony. Nearly the majority of fish in the world are in this group, around 28,000 species. Bony fish are divided into two groups, namely ray-finned fish (Actinopterygii) and lobe-finned fish (Sarcopterygii).
Actinopterygii fish are called ray-finned fish because their fins are webs of skin supported by bony or horny spines (or it called rays). Fish from the group can be found almost everywhere, both seawater and freshwater, from the deepest to the waters in the mountains. The examples are tuna, salmon, and cod. Sarcopterygii fish have two dorsal fins with separate bases, as opposed to the single dorsal fin of Actinopterygii. Unlike Actinopterygii, fish from Sarcopterygii are mostly extinct. The famous species of these types of fish are the coelacanth and lungfish.
There are many types of fish that you can consume. Both freshwater and seawater fish have delicious fish after processing. Fish is one of the easiest sources of food. Even in breeding, fish can breed naturally in open waters or can be cultivated by fish farmers, so that they are easy to find. Fish meat processing can be done in various ways, such as cooked by grilling, frying, steaming, baking, or by curing such as marinating or smoking. Even fish can be eaten raw as in sushi.
In terms of nutrition, fish have many important substances, one of which is as a source of omega-3 for brain and keep winning at https://agenpoker899.com/. But with so much pollution in seawater, fish are vulnerable to contamination with mercury and other harmful substances. But this does not reduce the features of fish if properly processed and consumed with the right portion, around two fish per week. Here are five types of fish that are nutritious and also easy to obtain and process.
All species of salmon are known to have omega-3 fatty acids. This nutrient is very good for human heart health. Also, salmon is known as a source of vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, selenium, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin B12. It is also known that eating salmon obtained from the wild, not cultivated, is considered better because it has less saturated fat. One of the disadvantages of this fish is the price is quite expensive compared to other fish.
Tuna is known as a high source of protein, selenium, niacin, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. However, high levels of selenium in tuna also have a bad effect, because this substance can bind mercury into the body of the fish. So in the consumption of this fish, you must pay attention to the amount and portion, especially in pregnant women and toddlers. But beyond that, this fish is still safe for consumption.
In sardines, there are many important substances for the body, such as calcium, iron, selenium, protein, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. Also, these types of fish are easily found on the market in the canned form. That way will make it easier for those of you who want to consume it because it is easy and fast.
Like sardines, these types of fish are also commonly and easily found on the market in canned form. This fish contains a lot of protein, omega-3 and vitamin B12. Even the content of omega-3 and vitamin B12 in mackerel is considered the highest compared to other fish. However, like tuna, mackerel easily binds to mercury so pay attention to the portion when consuming it.
Even though it is small in size, do not underestimate the nutritional content in it. In these types of fish contains a lot of protein, calcium, selenium, and vitamin B12. In its processing, anchovies are usually given salt so that the taste becomes salty.
Have you ever heard about Arapaima? This gigantic fish is the inhabitant of the Amazon river. Because of its gigantic body, this fish is called as the living fossil. If you are curious about this fish, here are some characteristics of Arapaima.
The Monster of Freshwater
Arapaima is called as the monster of freshwater because of its giant body. This fish has an average more than 2 meters length and weighs more than 100 Kg. There was even the one found with 4.5 meters length and more than 200 kg weight in the mid of the 18th century. But today, no arapaima of more than 2.5 meters found in wildlife.
The Living Fossil
Arapaima is considered as a living fossil because of its morphological characters at http://188.8.131.52 and anatomy which are similar to ancient creatures. This big fish even has been living in the Amazon river since the Jurassic period.
Greedy and Super Strong Fish
With an efficient and slim body shape, fins on the back and anal area, and a tail make arapaima a great and strong swimmer. It can even jump out of the water to prey other animals such as birds, frogs, grasshoppers, and many more. Arapaima is a greedy predator that preys on other fish. This fish can cause local fish extinction and ecosystem damages. It is also said that with its gigantic body, arapaima can turn a boat upside down.
Can Survive without Water All Day Long
This fish has a swim bladder that can also function as lungs to help it breathe. Arapaima will swim to the water surface to take a breath once every 10 minutes to 20 minutes. Moreover, this river predator can even survive without water all day long. Its ability to inhale allows arapaima to survive even in the water with less oxygen.
Piranha’s Tough Opponent
Living in a river full of piranha, arapaima has an extraordinary defense in the form of blackish green scales whose outer layers are mineralized, hard and bumpy. The strength of arapaima’s scales allows this fish to be protected from the sharpness of the piranha’s teeth. It can also help this fish to survive in rivers where other fish cannot survive.
Arapaima is one of the fish kinds that can be consumed. Its scales can even be used to make jewelry. However, this fish is a protected animal, especially in its original habitat. Those are the characteristics of arapaima.
Great white sharks are the most ravenous apex predator of the ocean. An apex predator usually plays a key role in controlling the prey population . They play http://184.108.40.206 a very important role because the ecosystem stability is depended upon their presence in the ecosystem. Great white sharks are one of the most dangerous sharks in the ocean.
Their large size also makes their appearance even more menacing. Carcharodon carcharias is the scientific name of a great white shark. This name is derived from Greek which means “jagged tooth.” Great white sharks are also probably one of the most famous apex predators in pop culture besides Tyrannosaurus Rex. However, there are still a lot of things that we do not know about great white sharks other than their fearsome look. This article will give you some information about the great white shark. Check it out!
You can easily recognize a great white shark when you meet one by knowing their characteristics. The first characteristic is they have cone-shaped snouts and a rounded lump near the tail. Usually, their upper body is darkish grey while the lower part of their body is white. The colors provide camouflage for great white sharks. Second, great white sharks are adept swimmers. They can swim very fast with the help of their semi-circular-shaped tail fin. Great white sharks also have dorsal fins to make them swim steadily.
Meanwhile, to prevent nose-diving in the water they use their pectoral fins. Great white sharks usually swim near the surface. They are also very great at chasing their prey in a short range. Great white sharks also can jump out of the water to catch their prey. Third, great white sharks also have approximately 240 saw-like teeth. Usually, there are five rows of those jagged teeth. Their jaw is also very strong. It can make about 17,790 newtons of bite force.
Great white sharks are also very heavy this is due to the weight of their liver. This huge liver is used to store energy. Great white sharks have to eat a lot of food to restore their energy because they spend a lot of energy on chasing prey. Male great white sharks are usually smaller than the opposite sex. The female is usually larger because they carry babies. The average lengths of great white sharks are 13 to 15 feet while their weight usually between 1,200 and 1,650 pounds.
As there are many kinds of sharks down there in the ocean blue, not that many people know about Goblin shark characteristics. Those many sharks have so many different unique characteristics, including the goblin shark. The different characteristics between any kind of sharks mostly can be found in the shape of their heads. Are you getting curious already? Then, without further ado, let’s discuss the characteristics of the goblin shark.
Physical characteristics of the goblin shark
Here are some physical characteristics of a goblin shark.
- Rare skin color. The goblin shark has pinkish-grey color on its skin. Moreover, the skin is ridiculously soft.
- Tremendously elongated snout. This is one characteristic that makes the goblin shark so unique. On the head part, the goblin shark has a flat pointed snout that is quite long.
- Long and narrow teeth. The teeth of a goblin shark are elongated inside its protruding jaw.
- Long body shape. The goblin shark has an average of 10 to 13 feet. But, the longest goblin shark is captured in 18 feet long.
- Many fins. Goblin shark has a total of six fins on its body. Two on the back called as dorsal fins, three different fins on the lower part (from the front to the back, the fins are identified as pectoral fin, pelvic fin, and anal fin). The last fin can be found on its tail, and it is called the caudal fin.
Habitat of the goblin shark
After discussing the goblin shark physical features, the other interesting goblin shark characteristics to discuss is its habitat. Due to its physical features and characteristics mentioned above, the goblin shark is considered as a slow-moving shark. Since the goblin sharks are sluggish, they tend to roam around in mid-water habitat. The goblin shark can swim over 1200 meters deep. Nevertheless, the goblin sharks are mostly captured inside the ocean within 50 meters to 300 meters deep. Moreover, the goblin shark is usually found in the waters of New Zealand http://220.127.116.11, Japan, South Africa, and Madeira.
The Goblin shark hunting tactics and behavior
Even though the goblin shark can be considered as one of the most dangerous predators, it tends to move slowly as I already mentioned above. Because of that, the goblin shark’s hunting strategy is to patiently wait for its prey. The goblin shark is mostly hunting on a squid, crabs, ostracods, and Teleostei. The elongated snout is one of the goblin shark characteristics that is used to help it hunts their prey.
Who does not know piranha? This fish is the most feared wild fish that is very sensitive to blood smell. With its strong and sharp teeth and bite, piranha can finish off its prey in seconds. Piranha can reach up to 30 cm in length. This kind of fish preys on other fishes, mammals, worms, reptiles, and insects. Piranha can change into cannibal if the condition of the environment gets worse such as decreasing food and oxygen.
This condition can make piranha preys on each other. Do you want to know about the characteristics of piranha? Here they are.
- Piranha has a silver skin covered by red spots. It is said that this color combination functions as a camouflage in the water they live.
- The body of piranha can reach from 5.5 inches to 17 inches in length. And its weight is around 7.7 kilograms.
- The teeth of piranha are extremely strong and sharp. Its teeth are neatly arranged in one line. The strength of its bite can be compared to a hook that is made from silver. A study from 2012 at http://18.104.22.168 found that black piranha and red-eye piranha can bite with a maximum of 72 pounds or 3 times of its weight.
- The jaw bone of piranha is also incredibly strong. This wild fish can even crush humans’ hand bones within 5 seconds to 10 seconds with its strong teeth and bite.
- Piranha has a certain sensory organ that can detect blood in the water. This is why this fish is very sensitive and attracted to blood.
- A group of piranha consists of around 1.000 piranha fishes. The enemies of a piranha group are crocodiles, dolphins, and turtles. The mating season of this fish occurs in May and April. Female piranha is able to produce up to 5.000 piranha eggs. Then, male and female piranha take care of the eggs until 90% of the eggs hatch. Moreover, piranha can live in wildlife for 25 years.
- Piranha is generally found in South America rivers. You can see this fish in Orinoco River Valley in Venezuela until Parana River in Argentina. There are 30 different species of piranha live in South America. But South America is not the only place where you can find this wild fish. You can also find piranha in around Chinese, British, and even Texas waters.
Those are the characteristics of piranha, the most feared fish.
Culinary tourism is certainly increasingly in demand by all people in the world. Not a few restaurants or eating places that provide this type of food, “Seafood”. Surely they offer a variety of freshwater and sea fish. It is very important for anyone to protect the marine ecosystem, including fish life. Just imagine, how many thousands of fish, especially sea fish, are caught for consumption by seafood lovers every day? For this reason, synergy between coastal communities and the government is very important in order to preserve fish resources at sea.
Marine Protected Areas (MPA) provide a safe haven in our oceans for plants and all kinds of marine creatures, from small algae and krill (a type of plankton), fish life, to large marine mammals. They also help preserve natural barriers, such as coral reefs, mangroves and wetlands, which keep the coastal areas from being submerged by the sea in the event of storms and other natural events. Plastic bags that pollute our oceans are mistakenly eaten by jellyfish and some sea animals. If swallowed, can cause death.
What is meant by avoiding overfishing is that fishermen may not catch marine products in the form of small fish, because the fish are not caught at the right time, or arguably, too early. This can cause the extinction of fish, especially if done in excess.
Understanding education related to fishing
Broadly speaking, fishermen must understand the intricacies of fishing in the sea from the start. The government should also provide education about good science for fishermen. After that, not only understanding, but fishermen playing at http://22.214.171.124 are expected to realize all their knowledge properly.
Paying attention to the condition of the ocean
Good sea conditions also have an impact on good fishing yields as well. Therefore, fishermen must also guard the sea from pollution. Fishermen certainly cannot throw waste, fuel or littering into the sea. This will poison or even damage the ecosystem in the sea.
Well, then a recent report from the American National Oceanic and Space Administration (U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) warns that coral bleaching is increasing in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and coral reefs are in danger. Ocean acidification also takes its toll. This is caused by the greenhouse gas effect, especially carbon dioxide (CO2), which is produced by coal-fired electricity transmitters, motor vehicles, and other sources. Individuals can act to help reduce these threats. Even if you don’t live near the sea, you can do something. The following habits can help preserve valuable marine resources.
- Follow natural conservation guidelines when you buy fish to eat, so that illegal fishing companies don’t sell.
- Minimize the use of plastic bags by using bags that can be reused for shopping.
- Using public transportation to reduce air pollution from motor vehicle emissions.
- Saves water and energy.
- Recycling plastics and other products.
- Support government efforts to establish Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in your country.
- Helping non-governmental organizations aimed at marine conservation and preservation by donating time and money. Discover how you can help protect the ocean by learning more.
Well, some of the above are behaviors that will certainly have an impact on marine life, fish life, and marine plant life. Finally, quoting the words of an oceanographer Jacques-Yves Cousteau, “The sea is the main unifier, and is the only human hope. Now, like never before, that opinion has changed to all of us in the same boat.”
Secretary General of the United Nations (UN) Antonio Guterres recently called on citizens of the world to make individual and collective efforts to stop plastic pollution in the ocean. If there is no serious preventive effort, he predicts, in the not too distant future plastic waste will defeat the number of all fish and disrupt fish life in the ocean. In his message on World Ocean Day, July 8, 2019 then said that every year, about 80% more pollutants, waste, and other dangerous substances in the ocean caused by human activities on land. Waste plastic not only suffocates waterways, but also endangers people who depend on the fisheries and marine tourism sectors. Plastic waste and other dangerous objects have killed turtles, birds, fish, whales and dolphins in the sea.
It’s not just how it looks, oceans make our blue planet unique in the solar system, oceans help regulate global climate and become the main source of water. All elements on earth need water, it maintains all life on earth, from coral reefs to mountains, tropical forests, to deserts in areas with low water intensity. Well, one of the direct impacts of waste and hazardous substances such as oil spills is the mass death of marine biota life, including the fish life which is one of the commodities of society and the country, besides that marine pollution cannot be avoided. As reported by Sciencing, it is said that if a fish consumes a little oil, it can survive. However, the fish can continue the impact to other animals, causing death.
Impacts Human Life
In addition to the direct impact on the fish life with all marine ecosystems, waste and hazardous substances also attack and pollute coastal areas and influence human activities. The waste can have a long-term devastating impact on the economy and local communities. The waste can have a long-term devastating impact on the economy and local communities. One of the economic activities is tourism and housing. As reported by Waterencyclopedia, property values for housing tend to decrease as well as regional business activities. Not only that, but it also influences future investments.
United Nations Resolution for Marine Ecosystems
In early December 2017, the United Nations Environment Agency (UN) in Nairobi, Kenya, declared a resolution on waste and microplastics in the ocean. In essence, countries agree to prevent and reduce marine pollution significantly in 2025. The country prioritizes policies that avoid plastic waste, hazardous waste, and microplastics entering the marine environment.
As a follow-up, an international working group was formed to review these treatment options that are legally binding. The move was widely welcomed because the crisis of plastic waste and waste in the ocean became a new enemy whose impact was increasingly apparent. The main objective of this international working group is to find ways to eliminate marine waste in the long run. With a collective policy, involving many parties, will have a significant impact on ocean life, including the fish life, microorganisms, and humans.