As there are many kinds of sharks down there in the ocean blue, not that many people know about Goblin shark characteristics. Those many sharks have so many different unique characteristics, including the goblin shark. The different characteristics between any kind of sharks mostly can be found in the shape of their heads. Are you getting curious already? Then, without further ado, let’s discuss the characteristics of the goblin shark.
Physical characteristics of the goblin shark
Here are some physical characteristics of a goblin shark.
- Rare skin color. The goblin shark has pinkish-grey color on its skin. Moreover, the skin is ridiculously soft.
- Tremendously elongated snout. This is one characteristic that makes the goblin shark so unique. On the head part, the goblin shark has a flat pointed snout that is quite long.
- Long and narrow teeth. The teeth of a goblin shark are elongated inside its protruding jaw.
- Long body shape. The goblin shark has an average of 10 to 13 feet. But, the longest goblin shark is captured in 18 feet long.
- Many fins. Goblin shark has a total of six fins on its body. Two on the back called as dorsal fins, three different fins on the lower part (from the front to the back, the fins are identified as pectoral fin, pelvic fin, and anal fin). The last fin can be found on its tail, and it is called the caudal fin.
Habitat of the goblin shark
After discussing the goblin shark physical features, the other interesting goblin shark characteristics to discuss is its habitat. Due to its physical features and characteristics mentioned above, the goblin shark is considered as a slow-moving shark. Since the goblin sharks are sluggish, they tend to roam around in mid-water habitat. The goblin shark can swim over 1200 meters deep. Nevertheless, the goblin sharks are mostly captured inside the ocean within 50 meters to 300 meters deep. Moreover, the goblin shark is usually found in the waters of New Zealand http://22.214.171.124, Japan, South Africa, and Madeira.
The Goblin shark hunting tactics and behavior
Even though the goblin shark can be considered as one of the most dangerous predators, it tends to move slowly as I already mentioned above. Because of that, the goblin shark’s hunting strategy is to patiently wait for its prey. The goblin shark is mostly hunting on a squid, crabs, ostracods, and Teleostei. The elongated snout is one of the goblin shark characteristics that is used to help it hunts their prey.