Who does not know piranha? This fish is the most feared wild fish that is very sensitive to blood smell. With its strong and sharp teeth and bite, piranha can finish off its prey in seconds. Piranha can reach up to 30 cm in length. This kind of fish preys on other fishes, mammals, worms, reptiles, and insects. Piranha can change into cannibal if the condition of the environment gets worse such as decreasing food and oxygen.
This condition can make piranha preys on each other. Do you want to know about the characteristics of piranha? Here they are.
- Piranha has a silver skin covered by red spots. It is said that this color combination functions as a camouflage in the water they live.
- The body of piranha can reach from 5.5 inches to 17 inches in length. And its weight is around 7.7 kilograms.
- The teeth of piranha are extremely strong and sharp. Its teeth are neatly arranged in one line. The strength of its bite can be compared to a hook that is made from silver. A study from 2012 at http://184.108.40.206 found that black piranha and red-eye piranha can bite with a maximum of 72 pounds or 3 times of its weight.
- The jaw bone of piranha is also incredibly strong. This wild fish can even crush humans’ hand bones within 5 seconds to 10 seconds with its strong teeth and bite.
- Piranha has a certain sensory organ that can detect blood in the water. This is why this fish is very sensitive and attracted to blood.
- A group of piranha consists of around 1.000 piranha fishes. The enemies of a piranha group are crocodiles, dolphins, and turtles. The mating season of this fish occurs in May and April. Female piranha is able to produce up to 5.000 piranha eggs. Then, male and female piranha take care of the eggs until 90% of the eggs hatch. Moreover, piranha can live in wildlife for 25 years.
- Piranha is generally found in South America rivers. You can see this fish in Orinoco River Valley in Venezuela until Parana River in Argentina. There are 30 different species of piranha live in South America. But South America is not the only place where you can find this wild fish. You can also find piranha in around Chinese, British, and even Texas waters.
Those are the characteristics of piranha, the most feared fish.